You can certainly use white rice in the recipe as a substitute…but you can’t make white rice turn into brown rice…that would be like somehow turning white toast into wheat
Never heard of it, from googling is this the one in Lexington? Might be do-able but its far off, would depend highly on if I know anyone who would want to go, cost, and size.
I tend to like mid to large sized cons because I spend most of my time cosplaying, going to photoshoots, and taking photos, I hit up maybe 2 panels tops at any given convention. Smaller ones I tend to end up running out of things to look at or people who have seen my costume rather quickly.
There have been some smaller ones Ive enjoyed greatly, it just depends a bit on what they have going on.
This was a really easy and simple way to get graphics on fabric for cosplay :)
Paraphrased Instructions from Credited Tutorial:
- Paint negative space on a pair of panty hose stretched in a cross stitch loop with modge podge
- Paint with acrylic/fabric medium mix, painting the space you didn’t fill in with modge podge.
- Spread, lift, let dry
Hang-Ups / Lessons:
- Make sure to use cardstock or some kind of flat plastic to scrape away ALL EXCESS paint
- Make sure the fabric you are using is heavy enough, lighter weaves it will just bleed through
- Always use fabric medium mixed with the acrylic, the tutorial just says straight acrylics
Gen III hats, I still have a ton of stuff to make before ACEN rolls around. I will be closing up my esty shop after next week so I can focus entirely on building for the table.
This marks the 5th gyarados hat I’ve made, unfortunately I don’t have a booth at fanime this year, but this will be the centerpiece of my artist table at ACEN, and it is for sale ;)
I had to completely repattern this from scratch as the original pattern was destroyed when my apartment flooded back in April last year. It measures ~9 ft. long and fits perfectly comfortably if you wear it like a boa.
View the full photo album here, 232 pics, has the pokemon and homestuck friday shoots.
Message me for credit links!
Dave, Nagisa, Kaworu, Red, Ran - Self
Jade, Mamizou, Blue - RoseSpirit
Ryuko as Yuko - kei-chick
Yuko as Ryuko - lexperiencedelor
Yellow - PrettySoldierPetite
- Meet RoseSpirit at Ohare on her connecting flight and after a few delays finally end up in Minneapolis…where it is snowing :(
- Snows about 6 inches overnight, winter please stop its April, go home
- Find out that despite my packing efforts, my Kaworu armor overlay got smashed to shit, I wanted to remake it anyway but its barely wearable :(
- Fun times with Rose, Fancy Beer Party with staff friends, catch up and turn in relatively early
- Get coffee and watch the badge line dwindle down, Detour always has the most efficient badging lines Ive ever seen at a con.
- Cosplay Dave & Jade with RoseSpirit, first couples cosplay of the day
- Grab food, costume change #1 of the day, into Ran & Mamizou, our other couples cosplay, fluffy tails everywhere :3
- Hit my time limit for wearing Ran and change into Nagisa, remember how much cosplaying Free! is
- Costume change again for the Homestuck photoshoot with Rose
- And finally change back into Nagisa, hit up a few room parties, and then head to bed
- Cosplay as Red & Blue in the morning, the pokemon photoshoot was unfortunately abysmally small despite the number of cosplayers we saw roaming around.
- Meet some cool new people, attempt to spread word of our panel
- Run the Pokemon Special panel, was the first time any of us had run one and it went over pretty well we think. Gave out pokedoll door prizes and everything :D
- Debut Kaworu, only able to really be in it for about an hour and a half, smooshed/crinkled armor and all
- Change into Ran & Mamizou after getting a late lunch
- More fluffy tails and hanging out with new friends, I wish more people at Detour knew touhou, but I expect more attention at ACEN/Fanime next month
- Change into Nagisa for the rest of the night, I think it will be my comfortable go-to for late night con shenanigans
- More fancy beer, room parties, bed
- Pack up most things, cosplay as Red and Blue again
- Game of Ascension with our friend Nate
- One last walk through of the convention, say our good byes
- See you next year detour! You always go by way too quickly :(
- Rose’s connecting flight gets canceled, get an extra night together here in Chicago before I have to get her back to Ohare this morning for a 6am flight to LaGuardia.
If I talked to/met ya at the con poke me in a PM so I can add you :3
Hey Caff, hope it’s alright if I ask a brief question regarding shoe covers.
Excuse the ant-sized photo (I can try finding a bigger ref if you’d like), but I’m stuck at how I would make these shoe covers. I have access to the fabric for it and I have a pair of flats to use for it. How would I go about sewing it so I get that tip that points up in this style? How would I create the shape for it (i.e. stuffing, craft foam, etc)?
Thanks for reading!
Tips like that can be tricky, but when I was making the covers for kaworu, I by happenstance ended up with little tips at the ends of the shoes just because of how the pattern fit.
if you make a 2 piece pattern to cover a shoe, it wont quite fit the shoe exactly and you’ll end up with a little bubble on the end.
Id recommend making a duct tape dummy of the shoe and sort of extending or changing the pattern as necessary to achieve the look, you might need to add stuffing or foam inside to get it to keep the look.
Does that make sense?
Near complete wear-test, learned one thing from this fitting…I do not have the range of motion to properly attach the upper-arm pieces after putting the torso piece on.
Will be debuting at Anime Detour this weekend
- Seal/Glaze the foam
- Attach gloves
- Attach 2 velcro pieces to back of suit
- Attach 2 velcro pieces to middle armor parts
- Attach velcro for red circle that should be just below the 06 on the front